What was your favorite audiobook as a child? Can’t remember? I can’t either! My favorite book series were the “Sweet Valley Twin”. I was never very interested in other books. Books always took too long to read and so I would start them and then put them aside before I finished them.
When I considered teaching, I felt like my lack of literary knowledge put me at a huge disadvantage. I was grateful for the project that I did in college that required me to read 20 children’s picture books and 10 chapter books and write reviews of each book. During the project, I found a love for so many books!
Becoming a parent, I wanted to give my children a love for reading that I never had. So, I did the one thing that I knew would help, I read book after book to my first child. My son and I would read at least 3 books every night since the time that he was just a few months old. He grew to love books and was teaching himself how to read when he was 5 by using graphic novels.
My daughter was different. She never wanted to be still during reading time and that was a problem. My daughter did not have the same love for books that my son had. It was much harder to get her interested in reading, so she took a different path. She learned to enjoy audiobooks. Now, my children and I listen to books in the car every day. They also choose to listen to audiobooks on Echo Dot during the day.
Here is a list of 10 audiobooks that we have enjoyed. To find ways to save or receive free audiobooks, see my post “5 Ways to Find Free and Cheap Audiobooks“. I hope your family will also enjoy these books.
- Double Fudge by Judy Blume
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid the Long Haul by Jeff Kinney
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard Atwater
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Percy Jackson’s Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio
- Dr. Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- Bonus: The entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Has your family listened to any good audiobooks recently? Tell me in the comments or sent me a message on Instagram @teacher.laurens