Do you remember listening to books on tape? I don’t either! I feel like I listened to a few books on tape, but they weren’t very popular. In recent years, it has become faster and easier to find and use audiobooks. Check out my blog post “10 Audiobooks that My Family Loves”.
Here are a few ways that I’ve found to get free or cheap audiobooks.
- We started borrowing audiobooks from our local library. They have a very large selection. Additionally, we were able to request audiobooks from other nearby libraries if there was something that our library didn’t have.
- If you are not looking for a specific book check your favorite local thrift store. You never know what you might find there. I have been lucky to find a few enjoyable books for just a few dollars.
- Are you doing a lot of traveling or just need something that is cheap and easily accessible? I have been using the Overdrive app for about 3 years. First, download the app to your device and then check to see if your home library is on the list. Next, you will be asked to enter your library card number to verify that your patronage. The best part of the Overdrive app is the ability to put a hold on things that interest you, even when they are not available. When the audiobook becomes available, the app will take the book out for you. I almost always have a book for myself and a book for the kids in progress.
- Last Christmas our family received nearly $200 in iTunes gift cards! WOW! That’s a lot of apps….or is it? We have been using the gift cards for audiobooks that we haven’t found at our library. We like them, because they never expire.
- Amazon Audible is a subscription service. There are a few different audible plans. With the Gold monthly service, you get 2 Audible original books and 1 other book each month. With this service, any audiobooks that you get, you do get to keep. There is a free 30 day trial. If you decide not to keep up the membership, the free book is yours to keep! As a side note: I recommend choosing an higher value book for your free one. For example, newer books usually cost more and so do longer and more popular books.
I bet you are familiar with a few other places to get audiobooks. Leave your suggestions in the comments.